Vacancy: Combined Reception and Year 1 class teacher for September 2022
Overview: An exciting opportunity to join a new independent school that is going into its second year of operation. The King Alfred school is a school with a real strong sense of community and purpose. Our first year of operation has been a real success and we are now in a position to recruit more team members.
This position offers a unique opportunity to revive the long-lost heritage of Classical Christian Education in England by joining a team of enthusiastic parents and teachers to help establish the country’s first Classical Christian school. Our ideal candidate will be a qualified teacher who has taught lower school previously. A person who has a good understanding of classical pedagogy and who possesses a distinctly Christian view of the purpose of education is highly desirable. Although, because having had a classical education is more niche, there is an option to employ a candidate who does not have training in this area but who is willing to enthusiastically learn and undertake training.
This position is for a full-time teacher to lead the Reception and Year 1 combined class, teaching 4–6-year-olds and be accountable for the educational progress by effective teaching and learning. This role will require the skill of following the EYFS framework and the school’s Year 1 curriculum. We are dedicated to keeping class sizes small in order to best meet our students’ needs and so the class size will be capped at 12 students.
Salary and hours: £24,000 +
Full-time (40 hours, 8-4pm) + meetings, twilight training and teacher training days. 37 weeks per year term time only, 1 year minimum contract.
TLR: There are opportunities for teaching and learning responsibilities and career progression for suitable candidates.
Holidays: The King Alfred School offers an impressive 14 weeks holiday per year, plus bank holidays.
The candidate will carry out the professional duties of a teacher as set out in the DfE’s Teachers’ Standards document. The successful candidate will be responsible for the planning and delivery of lessons; monitoring and assessing students’ progress against EYFS and Year 1 outcomes; communicating effectively with staff, parents and governors; tracking and reporting progress to the school’s leadership team and local authority; and safeguarding children. The teacher will gently introduce students to elements such as recitations, great literature, music, artwork and age-appropriate Maths and English to help prepare students for more formal study in later years.
These are the typical duties the candidate will be expected to carry out but other duties of a similar type and level may be required from time to time.
The King Alfred School is pioneering classical Christian education in the United Kingdom; therefore, it is imperative as the flagship school that we have a strong team of teachers that have high standards and model the Christian virtues we wish to develop in our students.
This post carries a genuine occupational requirement to be a Christian as defined under the Employment Equality (Religion and Belief) Regulations 2003.
- Possesses suitable qualifications.
- Has a strong work ethic with a can-do attitude.
- Can demonstrate initiative and is resourceful.
- Has a good understanding of the curriculum and age-related expectations for EYFS and year 1.
- Acts as a team player and is willing to support others.
- Knowledgeable in the area of Classical Education or has the willingness to learn.
- Demonstrates good biblical knowledge and applies it to everyday life.
- Values our cultural heritage and is familiar with the great books of the Western canon.
- Exhibits strong classroom management skills.
- Has a passion for teaching and learning.
- Genuinely loves and cares for students.
- Promotes high standards of expectations for students.
- Holds Qualified Teacher Status with early years specialism.
- Has received a classical education or has taught at a Classical Christian School.
- Musically gifted, artistic, Maths subject strength, English subject strength
Apply: Please apply for this position by emailing the Headteacher to request an application form: HBowen@thekingalfredschool.co.uk Subject: R/1 Vacancy.
Closing Date: 26TH June 2022
Interview Date 5thth July 2022